[gothic-l] Re: Eruli

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Dec 12 19:34:12 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> *****GK: If it is, then the Eruli were recently (not
> long before 551) pushed out of "their" territory by
> the Danes. Now whether "their" refers to the Danes or
> to the Eruli, it seems that the territory in question
> must be in Scandinavia. Is this a confirmation of the
> Procopius story?******

At least both historians tell us, that the Eruli were in Scandinavia.

> Eruli to Scandinavia. The alternative reading of that
> early passage, viz., that the Danes pushed the Eruli
> out of some territory in Scandinavia around the
> mid-3rd c. continues to appear plausible to some
> investigators. Is there any firm argument against
> it?****

No - strong but not firm.

> *****GK: That's possible. BTW if one dismisses the
> Procopius story and holds that the expulsion of the
> Eruli from some Scandinavian territory by the Danes
> occurred shortly before 551, is one committed to the
> view that until then some Eruli resided in
> Scandinavia, whence contingents could join other Eruli
> in the south? How did these Scandinavian Eruli get
> there? Were they autochtons?****

I have never seen any good reason to dismiss Procopius' information
that a defeated group of Heruls first settled among or beside the
Gautoi and that their kinsmen found many there of royal blood in the
540'ies. The details can be and have been discussed.

> *****GK: This whole controversy about the original
> locale of the Eruli and Goths is beginning to remind
> me of a joke about the authenticity of Shakespeare.
> "William Shakespeare did not write the plays. They
> were written by another man, who was called William
> Shakespeare."******

I agree - and therefore it makes more sense to discuss the new
archaeological information you brought and the names Harii-Heruls and
Harii-ErilaR in order to find new ways to attack the problems.

Therefore I have a question to Matthew or other experts:

Two years ago Timm asked at one of the list about Attila as a
combination of Atta and -ila (Little Father) in Gothic. He got the
answer that -ila is femininum making the combination unlikely. A year
later the same expert told another listmember that -ila is
maskulinum. Which answer was correct?

Troels