[gothic-l] Re: Does anybody know this book?

konrad_oddsson <konrad_oddsson@yahoo.com> konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 13 08:38:53 UTC 2002

Háils Dirk!

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "faltin2001 <dirk at s...>"
<dirk at s...> wrote:

> Does anybody on this list know the following book:
>
> "Gothic, Germanic, and Nordwest Germanic" by  Joseph B Voyles.
>
> I would be interested to know what it covers and if it is good.
>
> Cheers,
> Dirk

I have neither seen nor heard of this book, but have recently been
reading in another book by the same author, Joseph B. Voyles. The
book is called "Early Germanic Grammar (Pre-, Proto-, and Post-
Germanic Languages)". It was published in 1992 and cover changes
from Pre-Germanic Indo-European into Proto- and Post-Germanic,
Gothic, Norse, Old English, Old Frisian, Old Saxon, and Old High
German. There is also an appendix where the author sets forth some
paradigms for Germanic nouns, adjectives, adverbs, numerals,
pronouns and verbs. The book is in my opinion a fine work and highly
informative. I would be interested in discussing its contents with
any other list members who happen to have read it. As regards the
title which you mention, I will keep an eye out for it during my
next trip to the library. If I find the book, then I will read it
and try to post some kind of overview of its contents for you and
the other list members. Any references to or descriptions of other
interesting titles in this area of research would be appreciated. I
am interested in almost anything relating to the oldest periods of
Germanic linguistic history. I will look for the Voyles book.

Regards,
Konrad.