[gothic-l] Re: Identifying the Eastern Heruli

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Fri Dec 13 23:46:38 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh <gknysh at y...> wrote:

> ...........He lists five such: the
> "Germanics", the "Iranics", the Slavs, the
> Geto-Thracians, and the Graeco-Romans. Only the first
> three controlled (ethnically) large geographical areas
> where they constituted a majority of the population:
> the "Iranics" dominated the northern shores of the
> Black Sea between Danube and Lower Dnipro.

Who dominated east of Dnipro?

> Nevertheless his hypothesis is hardly a foolish one,
> though I cannot agree with his notion that the Eruli
> settled on the lower Don immediately after their
> arrival.

This comment I do not understand. Which arrival? Didn't you say that
they moved from the Moldavia area to Don in the end of the 4th
century?

> One thing to note is that unlike other
> groups, the Eruli are not distinctly linked to the
> area of the Wielbark culture. If a connection with the
> "Harii" and "Hirri" is possible (but this is quite
> problematic) then perhaps we ought to look for them in
> the settlements containing "Vandalic" elements (i.e
> Psheworsk culture artifacts).

Procopius called them Goths and Tacitus called them Lugii, but they
were mentioned by Tacitus close to the new Goths, so they could be
kinsmen to some of the groups being integrated into the Goths - and
these people could have an earlier Scandinavian origin.

> Kazanski ["Germanic antiquities of
> the Late Roman period in the Crimea and Azov areas",
> 1997] has found graves of fallen warriors of that
> period in the southern Crimea which are indubitably
> Scandinavian.

I will try to find that, but until then:
What makes him so sure?
When are these graves dated?
Crematation or inhumation?
Did Mahemodov combine these finds with his Scandinavian group?

Troels