[gothic-l] Re: reg. runes - for Jeff

konrad_oddsson <konrad_oddsson@yahoo.com> konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Mon Dec 16 20:37:50 UTC 2002

Séls (Sæll) Jeff -

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "hrafnsnest <mimir at s...>"
<mimir at s...> wrote:
> Konrad wrote:
> Yes. Also, there is one point about runes which I feel compelled
to make over and over again: they were a regular alphabetic sequence
used primarily for communication. We can forget the trendy books
on "rune magic" and the "deeper meaning" of the runes.

> >>Jeff.
> I will have to strongly disagree with Konrad on his point about
the runes. While the runes did indeed serve as a communicative tool
more often than not, they also served a "magical" function as well,
complete with a "deeper meaning".  This is well attested in both
literature and archeology (in the form of staves and stones).

You will hardly need to disagree with me on this issue, as I agree
with your position here. The reason I put the phrases "rune magic"
and "deeper meaning" in quotes was to underscore the often dubious
claims of certain modern authors that they can help us predict or
change the future through runes. This makes me rather suspicious.

I have an interest in the early language and have accordingly read
many books on early inscriptions. Also, I have transcribed by hand
most of the inscriptions in the corpus (including names and single
words) and all of the earliest ones, intelligible or not. Although
my purpose has been to learn about the evolution of the language, I
have also learned something about the "magical" use runes along the
way. As you imply, their are inscriptions which clearly served some
sort of magical purpose, legible or not.

> In literature:  The Havamal 138- the end, the Rigsþula 44-46, the
Sigdrifumal (practically the whole text), the Voluspa 59
("..Fimbultyr's unfathomed runes").  There are examples from the
sagas, Egils Saga for instance, where runes are carved on a drinking
horn that has poison in it, they are bloodied (in keeping with
tradition), whereupon the horn bursts in two.

Yes, I am familiar with these passages.

> There are many stones, staves, spear-heads, swords, asf., that
have "messages" carved upon them that convey something other than
someone's name, who carved it, or who is remembered.  The carvings
that seemingly say nothing,, are generally regarded as "magical meta-
language", communicating with either the dead or the gods, or
perhaps used as a "reality shaping" tool (a "magical" function).

While there are no doubt inscriptions which served some sort of
magical purpose, I am uncomfortable with the conclusion that those
inscriptions which are illegible to us should be regarded as some
sort of "magical meta-language". Also, while it is possible that
some such inscriptions represent communications to gods or the dead,
it likewise possible that the carvers where illiterate, practicing,
or using runes for decoration. It seems that illegible inscriptions
do not all belong in the same basket. Some could be magical, others
not. Regardless, my interest lies in the tongue itself.

> While I will agree that there are many "trendy" rune books on the
market, there are also books that deal with the subject of the
magical use of runes from a scholarly point of view.  Several
authors that come to mind is Dr. Edgar Polome, Edred Thorsson (Dr.
Stephen Flowers), Dr. Jan de Vries, Dr. Georges Dumezil, Dr Hilda
Davidson, and others.  There are also the works of Johannes Bureus,
1568-1652, who was the "antiquarian" under King Karl IX.  Among his
many scholarly contributions, he also discovered first hand, that
runes were still being used in the province of Dalarne, in fact, the
farmers were still using them well into the 19th cent.

> Sael,
> Jeff

Yes, there are distinctions to be made among books. Thank you for
your response.

Regards,
Konrad.