[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Dec 16 23:44:24 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "bobbusam <bobbusam at y...>"
<bobbusam at y...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at p...>"
> <trbrandt at p...> wrote:

> Troels writes:
> > As far as I can see you have just argued that Odin
> > could easily be a king/chieftain/ancestor like Abraham.
> > Maybe Wothan's name in Norse spelling later covered or
> > replaced the original name of the first remembered king
> > in the lineage - he became a god or a kind of a
> > divine ancestor - an Augustus. Maybe that is why you
> > can find Wothan both in Scandinavia and in England as
> > the first at some of the lists of kings.

> It seems to me that Konrad is quite right in concluding
> that Odin is linguistically a Germanic variant of a known
> wind god also found in other sources.

Hi Bob and Gunnar

I agree with Konrad about the names. If you read again my statement
above you will see, that I did not deny that Wothan and Odin was the
same name, and I did not call the god Wothan a man - but maybe the
god Wothan/Odin was combined with the real history of kings needing a
divine ancestor.

Troels