[gothic-l] Re: Odin the man - medieval scholarship at its best

Einar Gunnar Birgisson <einarbirg@yahoo.com> einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 17 19:42:36 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "vernonpeberty <vernonpeberty at y...>"
<vernonpeberty at y...> wrote:
> "Vladimir in response to Troels:
> >
> > I'd like to join your opinion with a small addition.
> > Odin/Wothan might have been a real person, a chieftain
> > (of course, not obligatory of "asses").
> > Compare please also the roots "vodim" in Baltic languages
> > (e.g. "vodimas" in Lithuanian meaning "ringleader")
> > and "vod" in Slavic languages (e.g. "predvoditel'"
> > also as "ringleader" and "voevode" in Russian).
> >

> > Vladimir

   # Hej. I would leave out the Nobel in this case. I have never
heard that Odinn was especially a Wind God. That must be a great
oversimplification or simply not right. Odin was associated with
skaldship, war, magic, wisdom among other things. He was said to have
55 names and control many things at his liking, probably the wind as
well. So he was a multi-natured god.
Snorri's Odinn was a man, a leader of a southern tribe migrating to
the Mälar Valley in the about 5-6th century (according to the
Chronology). Odinn and the others were humans and died a human death.
Snorri is describing a ancestor cult were humans later become gods or
rather representatives of various things, like fire, the elements etc.
But all this could also be symbolism. So according to Snorri, the
Asatru's (in the beginning an ancestor-cult)origin is in central East
Sweden. I think that could more or less harmonize with the accepted
view (and the chronology). I wonder about the etymology of Odinn in
the light of what Vladimir said about the "ringleader". Interesting
indeed.####

> The hypothesis that Odin was a person is medieval scholarship at
its
> best and reeks of Judeo-Christian bias against European natives.
The