[gothic-l] Re: Odin the man - medieval scholarship at its best

konrad_oddsson <konrad_oddsson@yahoo.com> konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 18 08:24:48 UTC 2002

Sæll Einar!

>    # Hej. I would leave out the Nobel in this case. I have never
> heard that Odinn was especially a Wind God. That must be a great
> oversimplification or simply not right.

I think its the former. I agree with others in accepting that Odinn
was and is a wind god. This is entirely consistent with everything
we know about the etymology of the name and words related to it. It
clearly goes back to IE times, as many scholars have pointed out.

Odin was associated with
> skaldship, war, magic, wisdom among other things. He was said to
have 55 names and control many things at his liking, probably the
wind as well. So he was a multi-natured god.

This is correct. Odinn is a multi-natured god. The sentence "Odinn
is a multi-natured god" is itself a gross understatement! He could
well be the most multi-natured god of any. Nevertheless, the Odinn
we know today is far more complex than the Odinn of several thousand
years ago. He had his origin as a wind god, but grew to encompass a
vast array of functions, especially amongst those Germanic peoples
who are not of the Jewish-Islamic-Christian tradition. One of the
things that I, and many others, find so interesting about Asatru is
how archaic it is. Many of the gods are still only barely, or not at
all, differentiated from the natural phenomena they represent. Even
Odinn, the most complex god, is still discernable in his basic form
as a wind god. Odinn and the other Gods of Asatru are an inheritance
from primitive IE times, when natural forces from the Sun and Moon
to the Waters and Trees were personified as manifestations of the
Divine Reality behind them. Many great scholars have written about
the early stages of IE religion, with the Heathen Gods of the north
regularly being cited as amongst the most primitive animistic forms.

> Snorri's Odinn was a man, a leader of a southern tribe migrating
to the Mälar Valley in the about 5-6th century (according to the
> Chronology). Odinn and the others were humans and died a human
death.

I have great respect for Snorri as a scholar. Like many of the best
Icelandic minds of his time, he had a deep love for his ancestral
faith. Legally and superficially he was a Christian, as was everyone
else. People had to be Christian - their lives depended on it. This
being said, the mind of Snorri was quite extraordinary for its time.
He knew how to write in such a way as to pacify Christian zealots,
while at the same time writing truthfully and accurately about his
beloved ancestral faith. One of the concessions which Snorri and
others of his kind had to make was to preface any writing or talk on
the subject with the standard propaganda accepted by the church of
his time. This propaganda basically consisted of the false story of
the Gods having been men who eventually migrated to Scandinavia. It
seems fairly clear that it is primarily this story which causes so
many modern readers to question his overall integrity. Whatever the
case may be, we moderns need to make an honest effort to understand
the laws and propaganda of the time, as well as the limits of all
medieval education, if we wish to understand what Snorri wrote.

 Snorri is describing a ancestor cult were humans later become gods
or rather representatives of various things, like fire, the elements
etc.

The nominal etymologies for most of the Gods and the comparative
evidence available from related religions speaks for the latter.

 But all this could also be symbolism. So according to Snorri, the
Asatru's (in the beginning an ancestor-cult)origin is in central
East Sweden. I think that could more or less harmonize with the
accepted view (and the chronology).

I would agree that Sweden has long been one of the most important
centers for the religion. Historically, it seems fairly clear that
Sweden and Denmark were already powerful centers of Scandinavian
culture and religion at a time when Norway was truely a "nýlendi",
as modern Icelandic would have it. Medieval historians and modern
linguists concur in relating the Goths, whom we are studying, to the
easternmost part of Scandinavia. While it is still a hot subject of
debate, it seems fairly clear that East Scandinavian matches Gothic
in certain areas where it differs from West Scandinavian. I have
studied and written on this topic myself, as have many others.

 I wonder about the etymology of Odinn in
> the light of what Vladimir said about the "ringleader".
Interesting
> indeed.####

What Vernon and others have pointed out about the etymology of the
name is very solid. It conforms to the best in applicable modern
linguistic material on the subject, as other have pointed out.

Vernon writes:>
> > The hypothesis that Odin was a person is medieval scholarship at
> its best and reeks of Judeo-Christian bias against European
natives. The Slavic forms obviously show medial d. How would you
then account for the influence of Verner on the Germanic word? How
would you account for the â-to-ô shift? The linguistic evidence
makes it painfully clear which hypothesis is the correct one. The
fact that the Asian equivalent is also a wind god drives the final
nail into the coffin of this medieval church scholarship. They ought
to award the Nobel Prize to whomever it was who first discovered
this derivation. He may not have discovered a new law, but he did
destroy centuries of dark superstition. Vernon Peberty

Maybe not the Nobel Prize, but certainly some kind of award. How
about a free dinner?

Regards,
Konrad.