[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Wed Dec 18 19:19:37 UTC 2002

> [...]
>Judeo-Christian peoples. I suspect that this decision was made for
>political, not religious reasons. Choosing an heretical brand of
>Christianity helped them to win the trust of their mainly Christian
>subjects while at the same time keeping them seperate racially and
>politically. I would call it a kind of segregation of churches. The
>eventual failure of the Arian church as a religion seems also to
>proove that its real purpose was political and not religious. I
>suspect that most Goths were entirely agnostic businessmen with a
>penchant for battle.
>
>  Those Heruls who had retained paganism,
>>  had
>>  > likely nothing to do with the Asir gods, but from the
>>  archaeological
>>  > remains of the Hegykoe group likely followed a syncretic form of
>>  > steppe-nomadic Shamanism and Germanic and other paganism.
>
>I suspect that they followed whatever brand of religion furthered
>their economic prospects, Germanic or not.
>>
>>  ## That can well be right, but this "Germanic and other paganism"
>>  could have been the earlier form of Asatru as we know it and can be
>>  evaluated from Icelandic material.
>
>The earlier form of this religion would undoubtedly be the
>Scandinavian one. It would also be the least corrupt form. Goths and
>Heruls were emmigrants who came into contact with many kinds of
>people. Whatever religion they followed must have degenerated
>accordingly. Their later Christianity degenerated to the point that
>it became extinct.
>
>  But even if not so the Asatru
>>  could have emerged in the 6th-7th centuries in Scandinavia as a
>>  result of the Heruli migration.
>
>I do not think so. This religion is known to be substantially older
>than this, at least in Scandinavia. Many Germanic peoples emigrated
>from this region long before the period you mention. These people are
>all believed to have carried this religion with them. Although these
>emmigrant populations eventually became extinct, the real origin of
>the religion itself must be in Scandinavia.
>

>  Elements of Christianity, shamanism
>>  and even Mithraism (as far as I remember) can be found in Asatru.
>>  Asatru is centered around the ancestor-cult princip. That is food
>for thought too.##
>
>I suspect that you are reading a lot into this religion which could
>never have been a real part of it. For instance, there is certainly
>no evidence for elements of Christianity or Mithraism in what you
>call Asatru. This is mixing apples and oranges. Christainty comes
>from Judaism. Jesus and all of his apostles were Jews of middle
>eastern extraction. Mithraism is of Persian origin. The religion you
>are talking about is rooted in Scandinavia. It must have developed
>independantly of these other religions. You should probably consult
>an authority on Scandinavia archeology about the early inhabitants of
>Scandinavia. This religion could well be thousands of years old.

Bob,
I presume you are just guessing or do you have any source to prove it.

>  > >
>>  > Those Heruls who went to Italy after their defeat in 509AD, were
>>  > likely Arian Christians. They also must have included the highest
>>  > ranking members of the Herulic royal clan, because otherwise they
>>  > would not have been received by Theoderic. Similarly, those
>Heruls who joined the Langobards, may partly have been Christians.
>The remaining group which wondered around, starving and suffering
>abuse and defeat by Gepids likely included those Herulic elements
>which were composed of steppe nomads of ethinic
>Hunnic/Mongolic/Turkic/Alanic origin. The non-germanic names of
>their later federate kings like Grepes, Ochos, and probably Datius
>and Aordos would support this view. We must not forget that the
>Heruls were a multi-ethnic group. The non-Germanic and non-Christian
>components of the Heruls likely found it most difficult to seek
>integration among Langobards and Ostrogoths, which would have been
>the normal course of action otherwise.

Again, do you have any source that proves your statement.

Which books have you read about arianism?

Tore