[gothic-l] Re: Odin the man - medieval scholarship at its best

konrad_oddsson <konrad_oddsson@yahoo.com> konrad_oddsson at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 18 20:38:49 UTC 2002

Háils Dirk!

> this story was likely not the attempt of a latent pagan who wanted
to to apease zealous Christians. In contrast, the story of the
migration of Odin and his followers is essentially borrowed from
Frankish historiography which set out the origin of the Franks and
adopted for the Norse (c.f Klingenberg and others).

I do not disagree that this story was adopted from some such source.
Other Norse writers reveal a knowledge of the story, which must have
been fashionable in Snorri´s day. I do disagree with those who claim
that Snorri invented this story for some such purpose as to defile
the native faith or to demote its Gods. I see no trace of any such
bias in anything he wrote. Christians have accused him of demoting
Christian kings and clergy by denying the miracles attributed to
them in other writings. Like many writers, he clearly has his
accusers. My own position is that he was a very objective scholar
for his time time. This objectivity should be clear to anyone who
has compared Snorri´s attitude toward religious topics, which are
often controversial, with that of almost any other comtemporary
western writer. I am not implying that Snorri had a bias in favour
of the traditional faith, or any other faith for that matter, but
only that he probably felt it necessary to preface anything wrote on
the topic with some such story as the one in question. Having said
that, his writing does at times show a fondness for old traditions.

 Snorri and other Norse
> writers borrowed and used these stories, because their main aim
was to give his own rulers and dynasties a grant history, by
connecting them to the heroes of Troy.

This is likely the original reason for the story´s expansion.

 Many of the main characters of the
> Illiad, that partly figured also in the history of the Franks,
were also present in the Edda. Compare for example Memnon the father
of Troer, whic Snorri called Munon, father of Tror, adding that 'we
call him Tor'. Also about Trakia, Snorri writes that this is the
same as 'Trudheim' (that kollum ver thrudheim) and about Frigia
Snorri writes that 'we call it Frigg' ( er ver kollum Frigg).

As one who is fond of the Iliad, I have also noticed this.

 Thus, the main thing that Snorri was interested in was to give the
rulers of the Norse world (including his own dynasty) a
representative history, which would put them at par with great
dynasties like the Merovingians.

This may well be the case.

> While it is still a hot subject of
>debate, it seems fairly clear that East Scandinavian matches Gothic
> in certain areas where it differs from West Scandinavian. I have
> studied and written on this topic myself, as have many others.
>

> If you consult Swedish linguists like Oesten Dahl (The Origin of
> Scandinavian Languages, etc.) or C.C. Elert, you would get a very
> different answer I am afraid.
>
> Dirk

I disagree with those who believe that West Scandinavian is no
further from Gothic that East Scandinavian and for good reason.
There is hard evidence that the Eastern speech is closer. This
became clear to me after researching several points on which Eastern
Scandinavian differed from the Western. While I had no interest in
this topic prior to this chance encounter, I soon discovered that
others had observed and written on the topic before me. The evidence
clearly supports the position that Gothic is more similar to Old
Eastern Scandinavian than to Old Western Scandinavian. Do either
Dahl or Elert explicitly deny this anywhere in their writings? If
so, then what examples do they cite as evidence for the position
that Gothic is no more similar to Old Eastern than to Old Western
Scandinavian? I would be very curious to know.

Regards,
Konrad.