[gothic-l] Goths / Religion

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Thu Dec 19 09:02:03 UTC 2002

Hails!

I do not find it in keeping with any ethical practice of debate (let alone one concerning religions), to make
accusations or to argue ad hominem, to give statements of assertion without reference or support of any kind, and
especially to do the latter in such hypocritical fashion as to blame another's argument for its lack of evidence and
then not to give any evidence for one's own blank assertions. List members will refrain from these unprofessional
methods or will be removed from the list, regardless of religious persuasion. Frankly, I think it a sad blemish on
any religion when one of its professing adherents acts as I have described above. If you wish to continue the
argument please do so in a professional, respectful manner. If you wish to contest another's conclusions or the
references from which s/he makes these conclusions, please do so in a scholarly and professional manner.

Thank you Tim, Aelfric, and others for your professionalism in this sensitive matter. Thank you above all to
listmembers for keeping religious convictions in the appropriate arena, and not letting religious agendas occlude or
taint examinations of history.

-Matthew
Co-Owner, Gothic-L