[gothic-l] Gothic Christianity

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 19 20:25:07 UTC 2002

--- Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at swipnet.se> wrote:
> >What is interesting here, I think, is not so much
> the
> >indubitable fact of the Christianization of most
> Goths
> >after the fall of the Attilanic Empire (and many
> >groups were Christian even earlier), but the
> specific
> >nature of Gothic Christianity. Especially the
> >interplay between Arianism and Orthodoxy. The
> earliest
> >Gothic Christians (whose bishop attended the
> Council
> >of Nicea) were apparently not Arian.
>
> George,
> What makes you believe the the Gothic bishop at
> Nicea was not Arian.

*****GK: As usual, a dearth of documents prevents one
from being absolutely certain about all aspects of
this issue. So perhaps I should only have said that
the bishop of the Goths was listed among the
signatories of the Orthodox Creed of Nicaea. And that
is the only evidence we seem to have for the very
existence of such a bishop. As mentioned, there is
still some discussion as to whether he was the bishop
of a Crimean Gothic Christian community or of Danubian
Goths.******