[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Dec 19 20:19:51 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>the fact that the Heruls were scattered among several other peoples
>of the same region can be established from the contemporary sources
>like Procopius who reported about the defeated and starving Heruls
>who sought refuge first among Gepids and then among Romans.

Dirk,
I know that there are various interpretations and I think it has to
remain interpretations even if it is by wellknown scolars. They are
only human.

Still we may not forget that Procopius writes in VI 1-6 XV
http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/tacitus_/procopius/default.htm

"When the Eruli, being defeated by the Lombards in the above
mentioned battle, migrated from their ancæstral homes, some of them,
as has been told by me above, made their home in the country of
Illyricum, but the rest were averse to crossing the Ister River, but
settled at the very extremity of the world: at any rate, these men,
led by many of the royal blood, traversed all the nations of the
Sclaveni one after the other, and after next crossing a large tract
of barren country, they came to the Varni, as they are called. After
these they passed by the nations of the Dani, without suffering
violence at the hands of the barbarians there. Coming thence to the
ocean, they took to the sea, and putting in at Thule, remained there
on the island."

Apparently Procopius only knew of these two groups.

Further it can be noted that Procopius knew the name of the Danis but
the name Svear was not yet known. My suggestion is that the people
that settled in the Lake Mälar  area adopted that name.

see also
http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/beowulf_/upsal_/tumuli/default.htm

and
http://www.stavgard.com/Gotland/beowulf_/upsal_/annals/default.htm