[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity

AElfric <amali@softhome.net> amali at SOFTHOME.NET
Sat Dec 21 19:07:00 UTC 2002

To Everyone discussing the Gothic Christianity thread:

There are now several of you who are continually doing four things:
1) you are telling me my perspecitve is wrong 2) you are telling me
there is no evidence to support my assertions 3) you are ignoring the
evidence I have presented, and speaking as if I never presented it,
and 4) you are not presenting any single shred of evidence or citing
any sources yourself.

The only person who has presented any evidence or has discussed this
issue proffessionally other than myself has been Dirk.  I have cited
my sources, I have presented my argument.  Since it seems you all
choose not to notice that I have cited sources in every paragraph,
and thus I have actually presented MUCH EVIDENCE, and you all
continually make the assertion that "there is no evidence" for my
perspective, but have not presented any evidence for your own
assertions, then it is entirely pointless for me to continue in such
a discussion which you have made worthless and unproffessional.

The truth is that this list has a higher and more proffessional
standard of conduct than you all have been displaying.  This is
stated right in the list desciption on its homepage.  The facts that
I have presented obviously do not fit well enough with a certain
Christian romantic illusion of the Goths as some sort of Chosen
Germanic People of God, and thus you choose to ignore the evidence I
have presented.  However, this is not acceptable to me, or to the
standard of this list, and so I will from this point forward no
longer be participating in this discussion.

And as moderator of this list, I must appologize to the listmembers
who do value proffessionalism in discussion.  Being the only one
supporting my side of the discussion put me in an awkward position:
as moderator I review all posts accept those of the proven list
members, and then I make a decision whether or not to post them to
the whole list.  For me to have rejected the responses of my
opponents would have been a conflict of interest.  Anyway, from now
on, I would ask that if your post is a contribution to a debate,
please ensure that your posts do not fall short of the ethics of
debate, in the ways that so many of the recent posts most certainly
have.

Albareiks
Moderator, Gothic-L