[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Dec 22 15:11:44 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:
> >One group may also have settled in
> >modern Bavaria and contributed to the Bavarian ethnogenesis, as is
> >claimed by many secondary sources. Family ties of the Bavarian
> >Agilofings with Heruls like Fara and Sindvalt may support this
view.
> >A further group of which Procopius had some knowledge first tried
> >make a living in the deserted Rugiland. However, they suffered
> >starvation there and sought refuge among the Gepids, who mistreated
> >them.

Dirk was probably talking about the same group in both examples
above. Phara and Sindual were officers of the Herulian mercenaries -
and they belonged to Illyrian group.

> Dirk,
> I am sorry taking it up again but you continue referring to
> Procopius. But where does he say the Heruls took refuge among the
> Gepids?
>
> "HISTORY OF THE WARS, VI. xv. 1-6

Tore - you are in a wrong chapter:

"HISTORY OF THE WARS, VI. xiv.
.... But since they were pressed by famine, because they were in a
barren land, they removed from there not long afterwards, and came to
a place close to the country of the Gepaedes. And at first the
Gepeades permitted them to dwell there and be neighbours to them,
since they came as suppliants. But afterwards for no good reason the
Gepeades began to practise unholy deed upon them. For they violated
their women and seized their cattle and other property, and abstained
from no wickedness whatever, and finally began an unjust attack upon
them. And the Eruli unable to bear all this any longer, crossed the
Ister River......

Troels