[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity

Einar Gunnar Birgisson <einarbirg@yahoo.com> einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 22 19:24:15 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
<dirk at s...> wrote:

Hi Dirk
I think Albareik has presented very good and convincing arguments
and done so in a balanced manner. I am neither pagan nor Christian
and I dont care if the Goths in the period in question were devoted
Christians or not. I feel that the situation was a little bit more
complicated than some will have us to believe and therefore welcome
the balanced account of Albareiks and his arguments.
After following the discussion I can see nothing against the idea to
assume it as a possibility that the pagan Heruli who migrated to
Scandinavia in the beginning of the the 6th century could have been
carriers of ancient Gothic pagan traditions to some degree.

Regarding Gothic Christianity! Can we learn anything from the
present! In my country (Iceland) Christianity is the State religion
and there are churches spread all over the country. Even so then
only a small minority of the nation is devoted Christians. And these
devoted Christians are divided in many groups, each following their
own doctrine. According to research and statistics then the majority
of people up here dont believe in the Christian doctrine (which in
many cases they have no knowledge of) but believe in the law of
karma, being reborn, believe in elves, other dimensions or simply
are atheists. Though most agree there might be some higher spiritual
beings around somewhere.
The religious minority though turns a blind eye to this and wants to
picture the nation as devoted Christians.
Not long ago the Church was a powerful authority in society. Did
people have a choice! Regarding the Goths, was it different back
then!

Excuse me but I have a few words on Ynglingasaga which I have
compared to the account of Procopius (in letter 6762). It seems to
be accepted that Ynglingasaga is to a large degree based on the now
lost Skjoldungasaga. It is naturally not known how much. According
to N.C.Lukman then the Skjoldungs were the Heruli. Lukman's fine and
extensive research has caused much controversy. The prominent
Norwegian scholar Claus Krag does accept Lukman's conclusions as I
have pointed out before. Therefore there is a reason to believe that
a part of the Heruli history might be found in Ynglingasaga (all
mixed up naturally). Naturally the attension turns to the arrival of
the southern tribe into the Mälar valley described in Ynglingasaga.
I wanted to add this info but not start a thread as it is
unappropriate on this list and I have nothing more to add at the
moment.

Best regards Einar.