[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Mon Dec 23 10:32:49 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Ingemar Nordgren
<ingemar.nordgren at e...> wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> Since I have had a serious computer crash I have a lot to read to
catch
> up. I noticed however the religious quarrel. I can agree with
Albareiks
> that not many god scientific arguments have been presented except
of  by
> Dirk and George  and partly also Aelfric.
>
> I think you must keep certain borders between different factions as
well
> as between Christianity and "Heathendom". Everything must be
properly
> defined. First I will state that I not use heathen or pagan as
being
> negative expressions from one faith against other confessors. I use
> Christian and non-Christian in that case. It means that practisers
of
> Nordic Fornsiðr is quite comparable with confessors of  Islam,
Mosaic
> religion, Hinduism et c. This is important in the discussion of
> tolerance towards "pagans". It is a fact that the Arians in
Theoderics
> Italy and the Visigothic Arian kings were quite tolerant towards
> confessors of non-Christian faiths.

Hello Ingemar,

agreed the Arian kings of Italy and Spain were remarkably tolerant
towards other confessions. However, this was neither a key
characteristic of Arianism nor was a sort of general characteristic
of Goths. In fact, it was pure politics. They recognised that they
were a minority, a very small minority and to maintain their position
they could not afford making internal enemies.

In Spain even the king had regular
> meetings with a Mosaic counsil to ease for the Jews to practice
their
> religion. The same tolerance was shown in the pre-Christian society
in
> Visigothic Dacia to most  Christians. In Dacia only Christian Goths
were
> persecuted but not Romans and other foreigners being members of the
> Visigothic society. In Spain the persecutions of Jews started with
the
> conversion to Catholicism when the later kings tried to gain
influence
> in Rome and hence did what the pope told them.

I also agree here. The Visigothic kings wanted to improve their
relationship with Rome and wanted to be seen doing something
against 'non-Christians'.

<snip>

> In Dacia there were several churches inclusive Catholicism and
Wulfilas
> Arianism but only a minority of the Goths were Christian.  In
Crimea the
> Greek ortodox church was in majority and the population was mixed
with
> both Greeks and Goths. Those Goths never took part in the later
> establishing of Gothic kingdoms. Wulfila was forced to move till
Moesia
>  and there he lived with his followers, the Gothi Minores, and
wrote his
> translation of the gospel. He did accordingly not convert many
Goths to
> Arianism.
>
> The reason the Christiuan Goths were persecuted was political when
the
> kindins tried to keep the people together with help of the cult-
their
> only real ethnicity. The language was  not a strong enough a
factor to
> keep them going together with a lot of outside influence, and a
> composition of  the  Gothic population from a multi-ethnic origin.
After
> having, of political reasons, accepted Arian Christianity for
protection
> by Valens and his troops behind limes they crossed into Roman
territory
> in 376. With them they brought, as earlier remarked, the idols and
holy
> relicts of every singel kunja (tribe) carried by a priest and a
> priestess. That much for the converted  astute Christian Goths
crossing
> the limes. It took a long time before Christianity was accepted by
the
> people more than just formally. The treatment they got by the
Romans,
> leading to Adrianopolis,was not directly a carrot to ease them into
> beleive. When Teodosius edict was issued after the consilium in
> Constantinople in 382 the Goths stayed Arian. This was both a
political
> gesture to keep the ethnicity - now with Arianism differing them
from
> the Roman world - and I think also a result of the close symbolic
> connection between the Arian confession  and the cult of Óðinn-
Gaut. In
> Odinism the king is a descendant of Óðinn, he is initiated by
stabbing
> and hanging and is symbollically dead and resurrected as a human.
Jesus
> is son of God, is crucified (hanged) and stabbed and again
resurrected
> (as a human as understood by the Gothic commonship). This was easy
> understand and associate oneself with and hence could be
politically
> used by the reiks to glue the people together. Read also
J.Zeiller "Les
> origines chrétiennes dans les provinces danubiennes", Paris 1918.
>
> As I remarked above the conversion to Catholicism brought the
Gothic
> ethnicity in dissolution and  Gothic landowners made often common
sake
> with Roman landowners against the Visigothic king and this resulted
in
> internal warfare and a weak kingship following the papal dictates
via
> the councils of Toledo.

Hmmm, for me this explanation is too simple. The Visigothic elites
had quarreled among each other for many decades prior to their
conversion to Catholicism. They had regularly killed their kings  and
each other and Arianism was no obstacle to that.

There was no longer a remaining Gothic identity
> and so the realm was chrushed by the Arabs bringing back a little
> religious  tolerance once again.

I see this differently. I think the Visigoths had from the outset
failed to create an integrated strong kingship as did the Franks in
Gaul. So when the threat of Arab invasion arrived their were not many
willing to fight for this kingdom. Also, you could argue that the
cruel measures against the Jews and other groups had given the fading
Visigothic kingdom a new lifeline. These measures brought great
wealth into the coffers of the state, as can be seen by the very
large number of coins in the name of Sisebutus and Suintilha. These
kings used the money to reestablish Visigothic control over the whole
peninsula, pushing out the last Byzantine strongholds.

The Arian kings still were tolerant
> also tovards Catholic citicens including Goths, but tried to keep
their
> number low (of political reasons). I must however add that the
Vandals
> were not tolerant, depending on local political reasons,

Very true, Vandalic Arianism was not a bit tolerant, which shows that
tolerance was not inseperably linked to Arianism and especially was
tolerance not linked to Germanic ethnicity. What mattered were
political concerns, which determind the course of action.

> but the
> Goths,Burgundians and Langobards were indeed.

The Burgundians were far too few in Sapaudia to be anything but
tolerant. They sought complete integration into the local society
from the outset and quickly shifted to adopt the Catholicism of the
majority population. The Langobards were not exactly very tolerant.
In fact, they were notorious for looting churches and killing
priests. Also, Langobards were only 'sort-of Arians'. From very early
on Catholicism played an equal role, through the influence of the
Bavarian Theudelinde.

Something similar can be
> said later of the Normandic kingdom of Sicily that immediately was
> attacked by the pope and finally chrushed in a so called crusade in
1266
> like the poor Cathars and Albingenses.

Surely, this Normannic kingdom was not Arian, and the war that was
waged against it was not really religious.

> Roman Catholicism all the time
> seems to be another word for intolerance.

I think that this is a gross over simplification, of a question that
is highly complex and not really suitable for discussion on this list.

> Read about this Visigothic
> problem e.g. Dietric Claude "Geschichte der Westgoten" 1970.

I'll start reading this next week. Just received the copy.

I know that
> both Heather and  our honoured friend Andreas has treated Gothic
> religion but not this very aspect as far as I recall.
>
> Finally I would like to wish to everybody
>
> A Very Good  Yule and a happy New Year/God Jul och Gott Nytt År/
> Weihnachtsgrüsse und schön Neujahr/ Joyeux Noël et une Bonne
Nouvelle Année!

> Ingemar

Merry Christmas to you too!