[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Einar Gunnar Birgisson <einarbirg@yahoo.com> einarbirg at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 25 19:10:24 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
<dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at p...>"
> <trbrandt at p...> wrote:
> > Hi Dirk
> >
> > --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk at s...>"
> > <dirk at s...> wrote:

    #### Hi Dirk. Thanks for your letter.
As you are mentioning the theories of Guthmundsson as can be seen
below "...first settlers of Iceland and what not", I feel I have to
inform the listmembers briefly.
Answering your whole letter in detail to extract from you the
arguments for your many claims would create many threads that all
would be more or less a repetition of former discussions on mainly
Germ-L, presumably with the same outcome.
Naturally there were no Heruli existing in the 9th and 10th
centuries when Iceland was settled so therefore there were no Heruli
among the settlers.
But among the settlers there were powerful aristocratic families
presumably of Swedish descent that could have been the descendants
of aristocratic Heruli families.
There can be put forward rather extensive argumentation for this
hypothesis and these arguments are presented in the book "The Origin
of the Icelanders", which is the English version. The translation
was made by professor Lee M. Hollander at the University of Texas
(1967). He was an expert in the Edda's and the Saga literature and
even translated to English some Sagas. So he was in the position to
evaluate Barthi's theories. Obviously he did accept some of Barthi
Guthmundsson's conclusions as he says in the chapter
Indroduction "...no doubt accounts for the pioneering labors of this
great scholar remaining practically unknown, let alone being
accepted. The translation here offered aims to remedy this
situation."

Regards Einar ####