[gothic-l] Inhabitants of Scandza

Le Bateman LeBateman at NETZERO.NET
Fri Dec 27 05:14:07 UTC 2002

  According to Jordanes the Heruli, Thurgundians, and many others were the
original inhabitants of Scandza. Now is it possible that most of central
Europe who were German speaking, were all at one time inhabitants of Scandza
would this make them all Gothic. I believe Tureville-Petre proposed the
notion I believe in The Heroic Age of  Scandinavia or his Myth and Religion
of the North that they left  Scanza and peopled what is now Central Europe;
the Teutons came from the  region of the river that bears that name etc...
Now is this merely myth or based in someway on  historical evidence. Would
this in someway make them Gothic, and their culture evolve and change
because of either outside or cultural influence. I do hope this does not
sound like a foolish inquiry.
Le Bateman
Montgomery, Alabama