[gothic-l] Re: Gothic christianity

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Fri Dec 27 13:44:36 UTC 2002

> >Overall, the d'Hautevilles were not naturally 'tolerant' people,
but they were mainly mercenaries who sought to establish their own
principality. They had no material
> >interest in supressing other religions and therefore abstained
from doing so.

> Regarding that the most outstanding enlightened and humanistic and
> tolerant emperor, Frederic II, was raised within the the house of
> d'Hautville you must consider them untimely tolerant.

Hi Ingemar,

I missed this part from your post. Clearly, Friedrich II von
Hohenstaufen was perhaps the most remarkable ruler of the middle
ages; stupor mundi, the astonishment of the world as he was called.
He was used to move in very heterogeneous circles in Palermo at the
court of his relatives the d'Hautevilles and had contact with many
cultures. However, his religious tolerance ended exactly at the point
were his political interests were at stake. The Saracenic uprising of
1222 is a good example. When Fridrich had subdued the uprising he
treated the Moslem leaders with extraordinary cruelty in order to set
an example. Yet, the survivors, who submitted to him were allowed to
resettle to the Italian mainland and continue the practicing of Islam.

I think that Gothic tolerance under Theoderic the Great was very
similar to Friedrich. Theoderic also could be cruel to his enemies,
but he was smart enough to avoid creating uncessary internal strife
through religious intolerance. Thus, it was not tolerance per se, but
tolerance with a political objective attached. If the objective
changed, tolerance could easily turn into persecution was the example
of the Vandals shows.

best regards
Dirk