[gothic-l] Tracing the Heruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 27 15:46:51 UTC 2002

--- åÇÏÒÏ× ÷ÌÁÄÉÍÉÒ <vegorov at ipiran.ru> wrote:
> Hi, George!
>
> I can't understand you. You quite rightly doubt
> settlements
> of the Heruli "on the southern coast of the Black
> Sea,
> on the Argean sea, in Greece". No Germanic
> settlements
> are found in Greece and on the Aegean Sea and
> probably never will.
> But how can be doubted Herulian presence in the
> Bosporian Kingdom
> if Heruli used its ships? Or did Bosporians bring up
> their vessels
> to any point on any call like taxis?

*****GK: Definitely a misunderstanding on your part,
Vladimir. I have consistently maintained, and continue
to maintain, that there are no known Germanic
permanent settlements in the southeast prior to the
5th century ahead of the line of the advancing Cc. The
sporadic presence of Eruli and others in the territory
of the Bosporan kingdom and nearby is due to their
raids. After the re-establishment of full control
within their state by the legitimate Bosporan dynasts
, these Germanic raids "from the Bosporus" stopped and
so did the temporary concentrations of Germanic
warriors at staging points near the ruined Tanais and
further south.******

> Regarding the settlements on NE coasts of the Black
> Sea,
> I do not know such archaeological finds.

******GK: There is a report in the 1997 communication
by Kazanskii I mentioned earlier.******

 But there
> are
> two attestations I have found:
> a) of Procopius on tetraxites;
> b) of an anonymous author of 5th c., which described
> ethnic changes
> in that region.
> The latter is quoted below (sorry, in my translation
> from Russian,
> and I beg your pardon in advance for possible
> misspellings
> of geographical and ethnic names):
> "From Sindum harbor (now Anapa) to Pagres harbor
> (now Gelengik)
> there dwelt earlier peoples named querketes and
> toretes,
> and nowadays there live so called Eudusians speaking
> Gothic
> or Tauric language".
> I do not know the source where this citation is from
>
> (maybe someone could point out a reference?)

*****GK: This sounds like the "Periplus Anonymus Ponti
Euxini" (a seafarers' handbook of the 5th or 6th
century), mentioned, e.g. by Vassiliev in his work on
the Crimean Goths. These Eudusians and Tetraxites are
the result of the dislocations of the Hunnic
epoch.*****