[gothic-l] Re: Tracing the Eruli

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 27 16:19:13 UTC 2002

--- "Troels Brandt <trbrandt at post9.tele.dk>"
<trbrandt at post9.tele.dk> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, george knysh
> <gknysh at y...> wrote:
> > We simply don't know with any certainty where the
> > Eruli were located in the time of Ermanaric. *****
>
> (Troels)I agree - but a settlement close to the
Bosporanian
> Kingdom and
> Crimea is the most probable location around 268 AD.
> Maybe even in a
> swampy area.

*****GK: I differentiate the "staging area" of Erulian
(and other) raiders against the south in the 260's and
270's from the area of their permanent settlements as
a community (with wives, children, old people). I
agree that these staging areas were, for a time,
within the boundaries of the invaded Bosporan Kingdom
(with the consent of a usurping dynasty at
Panticapaeum and the collaboration of the Tanaitae,
who probably collaborated with the Germanics in the
destruction of Tanais in the mid-3rd c. I continue to
associate the permanent settlements with the area of
the expanding Cc*****

> How far against southeast do we find the Chernyakhiv
> settlements west
> of Dnepr and northwest of the steppes? The region of
> Krivoy Rog or of
> Kirovograd to mention some examples?

*****GK: According to the useful map provided by
Mahomedov (p. 288) there are only FOUR known
settlements of the Cc east of the Dnipro in the period
prior to ca. 330: at Pereyaslav-Khmel'nyts'kyj and
Sosnova (just across the river) in the contemporary
oblast' of Kyiv, at Kompanijtsi (cont. Poltava oblast)
also just across  the river, and at
Kamyanka-Dniprovs'ka (Zaporizhja obl.) again just
across the river. Interestingly, the areas you've
mentioned (Kirovohrad and Kryvyj Rih) are empty of Cc
at that time. This is explained due to their being the
preserve of associated Sarmatians, whose integration
into Cc occurs in the next phase. The boundaries of
the Cc spread eastward in the period 330-375.
Mahomedov's map (p. 289)extends them as far as the
headwaters of the Psiol and Donets, into the
contemporary oblast of Belgorod (Russia). The area of
today's Kharkiv is included, but not the large steppe
area north of the Sea of Azov (most of today's
Zaporizhja, Donetsk and Luhans'k obls. of Ukraine, and
the Rostov obl. of Russia).******