[gothic-l] Re: Gothic Christianity - heathen point of view

edmund_heimdall <edmund_heimdall@yahoo.com> edmund_heimdall at YAHOO.COM
Wed Dec 25 08:03:04 UTC 2002

Merry Yule, Christmas or whatever else you may celebrate!

Just some thoughts on the "religion" thing:

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "vernonpeberty <vernonpeberty at y...>"
<vernonpeberty at y...> wrote:

> It has long been established that the Goths were Christians. In
light of this fact, the responsibility for proving that they were
anything other than fully Christian rests squarely on the shoulders
of those who would advocate such views. I commend you for presenting
sources that you feel support the view that the Goths were pagan, but
do not believe these sources are sufficient to disprove the long
established position that the Goths were Christians.

> Vernon Peberty

Yes they WERE Christians, but from what I can tell no one is saying
that they weren't. The other guy seemed like he was talking more
about minor leftover stuff from the past. It makes sense to me at
least that the Goths could have had one or two heathen customs left
that they picked up from other tribes or just had to start with.
Still, they WERE devout Christians. From a Heathen point of view, the
Goths are probably the LEAST interesting Germanic tribe. Few Heathens
like myself are even interested in the Goths. I doubt if anyone at
all is interested in whatever they believed before Christianity,
especially because nothing at all is known about it. At the same time
the Goths were Christians, a lot of other Germanic groups were close
to 100% Heathen - these are the groups Heathens are interested in
from a "religious" point of view, and especially the Norse. But the
Goths ARE interesting, even to Heathens, from a LINGUISTIC point of
view. It's interesting to see what their language was like - even if
it's considered really deviant from normal Germanic - it's STILL old.
They WERE the Christians, I don't disagree with you, but what's wrong
with pointing out some Heathen influences if you happen see them?

Just my thoughts,
Edmund