[gothic-l] Re: "Eruli", "Goths", "Danes" and wherefrom the runes

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sat Dec 28 01:24:38 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, "lindarichters <lindarichters at y...>"
<lindarichters at y...> wrote:

> > Naturally there were no Heruli existing in the 9th and 10th
> centuries when Iceland was settled so therefore there were no
Heruli
> among the settlers. But among the settlers there were powerful
> aristocratic families presumably of Swedish descent that could have
> been the descendants of aristocratic Heruli families.
>
> As this position is entirely unfounded, the use of words and
phrases
> like "presumably" and "could have been" is in order. The consensus
of
> both ancient writers and modern scholarly opinion have established
> Norway as the overwhelming place of origin for both Icelanders and
> Faroe Islanders (see Book of Settlements and related scholarship).

A majority of Norwegeans is not an argument against Einar's (Bardi's)
remark. Have you by the way taken the latest DNA-investigations into
consideration?

> A more relevant question for a Gothic list might be: where did the
> Goths originate?

The Heruls have until now been accepted as a relevant topic of Gothic-
l because they by some ancient authors were regarded as Goths and at
least followed the Goths. The origin of the Goths has been discussed
both here and recently also eagerly at Germanic List by some of our
active listmembers - but I think it is a good idea to search the
archives as a start.

Troels

> > There can be put forward rather extensive argumentation for this
> hypothesis and these arguments are presented in the book "The
Origin