[gothic-l] Re: Jordanes and the Scandinavian Eruli

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Sun Dec 29 20:53:21 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:
> >******GK: Given the points I made above, I don't think
> >your conclusion is the simplest explanation of
> >Procopius+ Jordanes, and continue to hold that the
> >most economical interpretation of their texts is the
> >view that the Erulian state in Sweden was terminated
> >by the Dani ca. 550 AD.*******
>
> George,
> There is something in what you say.
>
> Beowulf comes handy here with the wars between
> the Svear and Gotlanders.

We do not know if the Geats were Goeter, Gotlanders, Goths, Jyder or
something else - and where comes a war between Dani and Heruli in
here?

> The Ynglinga kings (what we think were the Heruli) were actually
> expelled and moved to Värmland and further to Norway.

If we have any reason to believe these sagas and Ynglingatal at all
this event should take place in the second half of the 7th century
calculating backwards. Furthermore this expulsion must take place
long time after the first kings in the dynasty, and it is also later
than the kings fighting with the Geats in Beowulf mentioned above.

> I think this thread needs a further investigation.

If you want to compare such events I think you should try the
Heathobeards of Beowulf and Widsith instead - maybe at Germanic List.
This is a war between Danes and intruders - with the Danes as winners
at the time of the death of Beowulf.

Troels