[gothic-l] Re: Jordanes and the Scandinavian Eruli

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Mon Dec 30 00:23:00 UTC 2002

>>  and continue to hold that the
>>  most economical interpretation of their texts is the
>>  view that the Erulian state in Sweden was terminated
>>  by the Dani ca. 550 AD.*******
>
>I am not sure there was a real Herulian state, when Datius left in
>the 540'ies. I think their members of royal blood still had a
>dominating role in the society since a member was worth going more
>than 2*1100 km for, but their followers were probably in the middle
>of an integration-proces with a Scandinavian people, since they never
>showed up in myths and archaeology. This happened north of the Dani
>since the envoy for a new king was considerably delayed as they had
>to go back to the Heruls due to the death of their first candidate at
>the Dani. There was no hostility at that time since they did not
>avoid the Dani.
>
>If Jordanes' event took place 509-551 AD the first settlements of the
>Heruls should be found in the wooded borderareas between Dani and
>Gautoi. Archaeological places like Vennebo and Ingelstad are situated
>in this region, but to my knowledge there are no significant
>Eastgermanic finds from around 500 AD in the region (but ErilaR-
>inscriptions nearby) though earlier Swedish archaeologists worked
>eagerly with a similar theory based on other reasons than Jordanes -
>as presented some years ago by Bertil at this list. This could
>indicate an early expulsion.
>
>Troels

George and Troels,

There could be another solution.
Procopius says they passed the Danis without problem.
It could be that they settled on the other side of the Danis and were
soon expelled from there.

Bertil  has earlier pushed very hard for a Heruli settlement in Skåne
and Blekinge.

Could it be so that they first settled there but was soon chased away
by the Danis and continued up the the Lake Mälar area.

Skåne and Blekinge is in memorable time Danish but there are many
that believe the Heruls settled there and very soon just disappeared.

Tore