[gothic-l] Re: Jordanes and the Scandinavian Eruli

Troels Brandt <trbrandt@post9.tele.dk> trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Mon Dec 30 13:36:25 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:

> >You just have to consider, that they according to Procopius passed
> >the Danes (who also lived in Scania) and settled at/beside the
> >Goetes, making Scania/Halland improbable. Smaaland or Blekinge are
> >the most probable regions for an interim settlement being attacked
by
> >the Danes, and you can discuss Blekinge as neighbour to the Goetes.
>
> Yes, they passed the Danes.
> However do we know where the Danes lived before Jordanes mentioned
> expulsion of the Herulis?
>
> In Sealand I agree and probably on the west coast of Skåne.
>
> Couldn't it be that the Danes took your above mentioned areas after
> possible  expulsion of the Heruls?

Of course this is possible, but if they first settled in the fertile
Scania they had to expell another people - unless other Heruls
already lived around Ringsjoen/Soesdala - and nothing is mentioned
about that. The Danes were mentioned by Jordanes to be of the same
stock as the Suetidi making a Danish expansion against west more
plausible.

> Jordanes doesn't mention that the Heruls settled next to the
Gautoi!!
> Jordanes source must therefore be earlier.
>
> That is Procopius that mentions the Gautoi and he has his
information
> from a later source, the new king brought down from Thule

I agree, but Procopius wrote "one of the most numerous nations there
are the Gauti [Gautoi], and it was next [para=at/beside/by] to them
that the incoming Eruli settled at the time of question" in the
Dewing translation. The interpretation has been discussed earlier and
as far as I can see this position of arrival must be the same as the
position of the Jordanes-event, if the two authors mentioned the same
group of Heruls.

This makes enclaves in the forests of Smaaland the most probable
choise in my opinion. Here the Dani had a reason to expell them and
they would live "para" the Gautoi.

Troels