[gothic-l] Re: Tracing the Eruli

Dr. Dirk Faltin <dirk@smra.co.uk> dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Dec 31 10:12:55 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...>
wrote:

> >Finally, there seems to be a consensus in the literature dealing
> >with this episode that the Herulic group which according to
> >Procopius moved to Thule was very small and weak, and certainly far
> >from figuring 'tens of thousands'.
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
> Which literature?
> Procopius does not say so. Is there any other contemporary author
that says so?

> Tore
> --

Tore,

Procopius clearly and without any doubt makes it clear that the
Heruls who survived the defeat of 508/9 were weak (suffering
starvation, abuse and attacks by the Gepids). As for modern authors,
Werner meniones that the surviving Heruls, where a "delapidated
people, too weak to reassert independent rule and eventually destined
to dissappear as separate ethnic identity." (my translation from his
book on the Langobards in Pannonia). A similar view was expressed by
W. Pohl.

I think this debate should really be shifted to the Germanic-L.

Dirk

PS  Regarding our earlier discussion regarding the Ukrainian trident/
falcon symbol. Baldwin's auction catalog 502, lists a coin
(srebrenik) of Vladimir  with the trident and the inscription 'Av.:
Vladimir/ Re.: ... and the trident is his tamga (sign of ownership)',
instead of the more common inscription 'Vladimir and this is his
silver'. In other words, people in the late 10th century, regarded
the sign as a trident not a falcon.