[gothic-l] Gothic words?

M. Carver me at MATTHEWCARVER.COM
Fri Feb 1 17:58:14 UTC 2002

andreas.schwarcz at univie.ac.at wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2002, at 4:03, Sahin Ahmet wrote:
>

> > If anybody could answer some fundamental questions for me .?
> >                         By what word did Goths call themselves?.
> Dear Sahin Ahmet,
>
> by epigraphic sources from the third century they called
> themselves Guththa, in texts from the fourth century also Tervingi
> or Vesi  and Greuthingi or Ostrogothi, by official Latin texts from
> the Ostrogothic and the Visigothic kingdom Gothus pl. Gothi and
> Ostrogothi and Visigothi.
>  Is it

Hails Sahin jah Andraias:

Guththa = ? Gut-thiuda. They called themselves 'Gut-Thiuda', the "Gothic-people" (cf. Kalendar, 23., 29. October),
(4. c.).  Gut- (no 'h') has been reconstructed as the stem, with weak ( 'n") declension, as with other race-names:
Guta*, pl. Gutan*. This is based on the runic engraving on the Goldring of Petrossa, among other sources such as
personal names. Guta* < *Gotan < ? ablaut form of Germ. *geutan  "gießen", pour, < ? PIE *gheud-. Related gothic
words are *gutisks "gothic" (inferred from Gothiscanza, parsed as "Gutisk-andja", Gothic territorial boundaries);
*gutnan 4 "become poured out, become spilled out" (v. giutan); *Guto, fN, "female Goth".

Matthaius

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM