[gothic-l] Ostrogothic Dress

Tim O'Neill scatha at BIGPOND.COM
Wed Feb 6 09:00:25 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, February 06, 2002 12:58 AM, faltin2001 [SMTP:dirk at smra.co.uk] wrote:
> Here is the URL to a page (in German) which shows on top a picture of
> one of the famous mosaics from San Apollinare, Ravenna. The text
> draws attention to the fact that the three persons in the middle of
> the picture (i.e. the 3 holy kings) are dipicted in trousers, with
> cloaks and so called Phrygian caps. The text states that this is
> probably typical Ostrogothic dress of the early 6th century, as
> opposed to the other figures, who wear classical Roman dress.

But the Magi were often depicted wearing phrygian caps, since they
were supposedly from 'the East'.  So it's not surprising they are
dressed differently to the other figures - they are usually depicted
this way because they are 'foreginers'.  I can't think of any other
evidence that these caps were worn by the Goths.

> Interestingly, Amalasuintha was also depicted wearing this Phrygian
> cap, which might indicate that the text is right and Goths wore this
> type of headdress.

Where is she depicted in this way?

Tim O'Neill

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Check Email & Transfer files - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/NxtVhB/3XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM