[gothic-l] Sparloesa rune stone

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar.nordgren at EBOX.TNINET.SE
Fri Feb 8 00:27:11 UTC 2002

Dear Dirk and Tore!

I would suggest another angle of approach to this stone if you are able
to skip the sail connection.

The ship has the typical shape that reminds of e.g. the Thera frescoes
in Greece and it also has connections with the 'horned' steles of
Asturia and the Gotlandic picturestones. Both the horns and the ships
symbolize, both according to myself and established religion historians
like Franz Cumont, in fact the moon, the mother- and moon goddess. This
symbol is in Arian christian time identified with the virgin Mary. The
ship has a cross-sail stressing this meaning and it is   most probable
not a nordic ship at all but a symbol, maybe also indicating the artist
  have travelled by sea. On the rail from which the sail hangs are two
birds shoving the  characteristics of rude pea-cocks - the imperial
peacocks being imitated by the Goths. I have seen such Gothic sculptures
in Spain and Portugal. A cathedral with twin towers you do not find in
Scandinavia at that time, nor the game-animal. The riders cap has by
swedish authorities been compared with a phrygian cap several times and
however rude I do not need much imagination to see that. The fact that
he rides , that was extremely unusual in Sweden during the Migration and
  Early Viking Age, stresses that this is no Nordic milieu. The artist
has seen these things in location and tried to reshape them. If he was a
Goth or if he had just visited them in Italy and like a tourist would
tell the people  at home of his journey is unclear. It points however
clearly towards an Arianic faith and a definite Gothic connection. About
the dating it is hard to say for sure and it needs a quite better expert
examination. The Roek-stone is dated to the same time and it speaks
about Theoderik as the  Reidgotha king. On the Sparloesa stone however
we have the pictures that tie the motive to the Goths of the 6th
century. I fancy you have the URL. Otherwise I could send a picture by mail.

Kindly
Ingemar