[gothic-l] Gothic and Gotlandic Sailing

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sun Feb 10 18:43:17 UTC 2002

Tore,

In the latest commentary on _Germania_ (1999) the
editor believes (p. 313) that Tacitus obeservations
"must derive from an accurate eye-witness account".

As for the reference to the dealer in amber I know
nothing and neither is he mentioned in the commentary.
BTW, from which section of _Germania_ are you quoting?
I have to correct myself. I was quoting from 44.2, not 44.3.

Gothically

Bertil

It all depends on who the source is. Tacitus' source was the Roman
Merchant  dealing in ember (Bärnstensriddaren).
He is said to have visited the most important trading places on the
Baltic coast which of course includes Gotland which is probably the
furthest he went as that was the trading center in the Baltic in
those days. Perhaps the wind was not favorable and they had to use
paddles.

It is only possible to use a sail when there is a favourable wind.

"Next occur the communities of the Suiones, situated in the ocean
itself; and besides their strength in men and arms, very powerful at
sea. The form of their vessels varies thus far from ours, that they
have prows at each end, so as to be always ready to row to shore
without turning nor are they moved by sails, nor on their sides have
benches of oars placed, but the rowers ply here and there in all
parts of the ship alike, as in some rivers is done, and change their
oars from place to place, just as they shift their course hither or
thither. "

What Tacitus describes seems to be a boat where they can quickly land
, get away and go the other way. Excellent for quick raids. This is
not a merchant ship.

Haywood mentions this type of boat also.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM