[gothic-l] Re: Eruli near the Rhine

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Feb 11 12:23:23 UTC 2002

Dear Tore and Dirk,
all our informations about the western Eruli in 287 go back to the
Panegyricus of Mamertinus for the Emperor Maximian, where they
are named together with the otherwise unknown Chaibones (and
Alamanni and Burgundiones). Mamertinus does not give any
information from where they came, just calls them "viribus primi
barbarorum, locis ultimi", which is the cause of all speculations
about their origin, often combined with this long-discussed citation
of Jordanes about the Dani. As I showed,  the latter cannot be
applied to them, the "locis ultimi" are quite rightly usually
combined with an arrival over the sea. Schmidt identified the
Chaibones with the Aviones and localized those in eastern Holstein.
>From somewhere along the coast eastwards the Eruli  surely
came, but we cannot really be sure from where. After their defeat
they were stationed near the Batavi and the Schola palatina
bearing their name in the Notitia Dignitatum was recruited from
them.

Kind regards
                    Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich