[gothic-l] Eruli in the West

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Feb 11 16:05:56 UTC 2002

On 11 Feb 2002, at 15:06, Bertil Haggman wrote:

> Dear Listmembers,
>
> The Eruli as a Roman army unit were at one point related to
> the Batavi.
>
> In the section on the western part of the empire in the
> _Notitia_ we find the Eruli listed as one of the numeri in the auxilia
> palatina under the command of the magister peditum praesentalis. They
> said to be stationed in Italia. In the list the Eruli are placed
> between th eCelae and the Batavi.
>
> That would lead us possbly to believe that the Eruli at one
> stage were connected to the North Sea. But this is hardly
> probable.
Dear Bertil,
what you think hardly probable has been   communis opinio about
the Western Eruli for more than a century since Mommsen,
strengthened by Ludwig Schmidt. According to Dietrich Hoffmann,
Das spätrömische Bewegungsheer und die Notitia Dignitatum. 2
vols., Köln 1969, here vol.1, 156 f., the Auxilia palatina of the Eruli
and the Batavi were already formed under the Tetrarchy after 286.
They were part of Julian's army in Gaul (Hoffmann I, 372 f.), fought
at the battle of Argentorate 357, and in Britain in 360, and followed
Julian into his Persian war in 363. In 364 these auxilia were divided
into Seniores and Iuniores and  the Eruli Seniores returned to Gaul,
where they fought 365 against the Alamanni and followed the
general Theodosius (the emperor's father) 368/369 to Britain. In
394/95 their presence in Italy is testified by funeral inscriptions at
the cemetary of Concordia. They remained there as part of the
central army (comitatenses) of the Magister peditum praesentalis,
therefore they were stationed at first at Milan, after 401 at Ravenna.
The Eruli Iuniores were part of the army of Valens, remained in the
East and were annihilated at the battle of Adrianople in 378
(Hoffmann I, 455 f.).

 Rather it is a question of where the Batavi were
> stationed at the time of writing. One possible place would be
> Castra Bataba or modern Passau under Italian command.

See above.

> An interesting source is also Hydatius. In his _Chromicle_ he
> relates in 455 AD one Eruli raid in northwestern Spain
> and 459 AD another. The first was 400 men and seven ships
> and the second was not specified. Hydatius also reported
> Vandals operating in the Spanish Atlantic area, and they were
> originating in Carthage. Could the Eruli of Hydatius maybe come
> from Italy?

No, they could not. The Eruli vanquished by Maximian in
2867287 were settled near the lower Rhine and they still were there
in the fifth century, when Sidonius Apollinaris note an Erulian
embassy at the court of the Visigothic king Euric. Those incursions
mentioned by Hydatius probably originated with them.

Kind regards
                Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich