[gothic-l] Eruli in the West

andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT andreas.schwarcz at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Feb 12 16:52:02 UTC 2002

On 12 Feb 2002, at 11:52, Bertil Haggman wrote:

> Of course different opinions are related and it is not enough
> to just quote names. I was, if you may have noticed, writing
> about current research in Scandinavia. But I guess you missed
> that when reading my contribution.

Dear Bertil,
no, I did not miss that.
Were you by any
> chance referring to Marvin Taylor's article in Hoops?

Read again, I referred clearly to the articles "Dänen" and
"Dänemark" in Hoops and the article "Dänemark" in Lexikon des
Mittelalters.

> There will always be this Central European current in the
> field of research on the Eruli. It is always fascinating to have
> this list of names being paraded as argument. What was
> Wessén's argument against the Eruli being of Scandinavian
> origin? And Lla's?

Wessén and the others (among them Beck, I. Skovgard-Pedersen
and Ulla Lund-Hansen) I cited in these articles put the beginning of
the Danes squarely around 500. Wessén specially  wrote about the
passage in Jordanes Get.23 and argued that the clause
"Herulos...expulerunt, qui" was a later insert. He did not treat
specially the Eruli. That passage usually is cited by those who
argue about a Scandinavian origin and the eviction around 290 by
the Danes. If there were no Danes around then and the passage in
Jordanes refers to events in the sixth century, this proof goes down
the drain. Do not misunderstand me, I do not advocate Ellegard's
theory. But we must understand that there are distinct groups of
Eruli at different times and that they cannot easily be brought under
a common origin. There are those at the Maeotis in the third and
fourth century and we do not know where they came from. There
are those in Central Europe in the fifht and the sixth century and
they are probably connected with those at the Maeotis before. And
there are those  at the mouth of the Rhine and for those we can
assume that they came from somewhere on the North Sea coast.
And Mecklenburg is not in Central Europe. The localization of the
Western Eruli before 286 depends upon the localization of the
Chaibones mentioned together with them.

Kind regards
                        Andreas
Ao.Univ.Prof.Dr.Andreas Schwarcz
Institut für österreichische Geschichtsforschung
Universität Wien
Dr.Karl Lueger-Ring 1
A-1010 Wien
Österreich