[gothic-l] Re: Eruli in the West

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Feb 13 13:51:35 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2002, at 8:33, faltin2001 wrote:
>
> > > That there were connections in the fifth century between
> > > Scandinavia and Bohemia is testified by archeology (see Tejral
and
> > > Arrhenius) and the Longobardic kings from the Gausi.
> >

> > Hello Andreas,
> >
> > I think that this link of Langobardic kings (ex genere gausus)
with
> > Scandinavia is very tentative indeed. The Edictus Rothari
mentions in
> > its king list the following names with 'ex genere'.
> >
> > 1. rex agilmund, ex genere gugingus.
> > 10. audoin, ex genere gausus.
> > 12. clep, ex genere beleos.
> > 14. agilulf, turingus, ex genere anawas.
> > 16. hariwald, ex genere caupus.
> > 17. rotari rex, filius nandinig, ex genere harodos.
> >
> > I think there firstly arises the problem of what the respective
names
> > (gugingus, gausus, beleos, anawas, caupus, harodos) are really
> > refering to. Some authors have opted for names of clans, others
for
> > names of gods or areas. Thus, Agiulf, who is actually called a
> > Thurginian may have been a member of a certain clan
named 'Anawas'.
> > Cleph and Hariwald seemed to have been members of clans with the
names
> > Beleos and Caupus, respectively. For Rothari the possibility
exists
> > that 'harodos' referes to the Harudes tribe, mentioned already at
the
> > time of Ceasar, but also a link to one of the names of Wodan was
also
> > suggested.
> >
> > However, with Agilulf being a Thuringian, it is also possible
that the
> > 'ex genere harodos' of Rothari refered to the pagus Harudorum (the
> > Harudian area) in north Thuringia, which was the area were the
> > Thuringians who joined the Langobards in their move to Italy
actually
> > came from. Thus, some authors (I think Hauptfeld, Lotter and
Menghin?)
> > have argued that Audoin was most likely also a Thuringian, with
links
> > to the pagus Harudorum and the Saxons who took over the area after
> > 533AD and who joined the Langobards in Italy, because of these
links
> > with Audoin. In addition, a god Gaut was apparently also
worshiped as
> > founder god among the Saxons, in the form of Hatha-Gaut, and
probably
> > also known among the Thuringians.
> >
> > cheers,
> > Dirk
> Dear Dirk,
> ex genere of course defines a prominent family and its name may
> express a genealogy going back to Gaut as well as an ethnic
> connotation. But in contrast to Agilulf Audoin is not called a
> Thuringus (but also not a Gaut). He was a Longobard by his father,
> the connection to the Thuringians went over his very prominent
> mother.
>
> Hauptfeld p.128, formulates it this way:
> "Die gautische Herkunft seiner Familie dürfte ebenso wie die
> harudische Abstammung des späteren Langobardenkönigs Rothari
> aus dem thüringischen Bereich stammen," and points out that
> according to the Historia codicis Gothani 5,9 Audoin was a half-
> brother both of the Thuringian king Herminafred and the former
> Longobardic queen Ranicunda. His mother Menia was the widow of
> the Thuringian king Bisin.

Hello Andreas,

yes, that was exactly the bit in Hauptfeld's article that I had in
mind. I.e. the Gautic decend of Alboin as well as the Harudic decent
of Rothari being derived from the Thuringian kingdom.

> Well, if you talk about a "gautic descent", the Gausus may apply
> either to the line of the mother, if she is very prominent (and we
do
> not know from where Menia came before she married Bisin) or to
> the father. Anyway it gives a family tradition, not an ethnic
> desciption of the person itself.

I think W. Menghin (Die Langobarden) states that Menia, the wife of
the Thuringian king and mother of the Langobardic king Audoin was
of 'noble Langobardic decent', but I don't know what the basis for
this is. This would make Audoin half-Thuringian and half-Langobardic,
probably with connection to the Saxons in the formerly Thuringian
pagus Harudorum. A perfect mixture to lead a combined Langobardic-
Thuringian and Saxon group into Italy.

cheers,

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM