[gothic-l] Eruli in the West

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Feb 14 09:46:52 UTC 2002

There is in my view, as you indicate, not a problem.

Experts and researchers have for a long time asserted
the pre-Viking nature of the Black Sea operations of the
Eruli and the Goti. They are of course close to the
later, from around 800 AD, perfection of Viking shipbuilders
of reliable ships that had no need of deep water, safe
anchorages or quaysides.

It is true that there is no archaelogical evidence to show how
and when Scandinavian ships evolved for use of sail, for the
earliest Viking ships are already fully adapted for sailing.
But then there are of course sailing ships on stones on Gotland, that
have been dated to the seventh century (probably there are earlier
datings) and the Gotlandic theories on the cultural zone
encompassing Gotland, Oeland and Bornholm already
from 150 AD is pointing to sail coming in use from that early
time. Other Germanics used sails as early.

I recommend reading Professor Pritsak on this. The Eruli
and the Goti and others "can be regarded not only as the
predecessors but also the models of the Vikings".

The body of work of Nylén, Pritsak and others identify a period
in the history of eastern Scandinavia and naval traditions that
would benefit from further research and study.

Bertil Haggman

> I dont see the problem. They arrived in an area with an ancient
> but still thriving shipbuilding tradition. What would prevent them from
> taking advantage of the local skills. The Black Sea/Mediterraenean
> shipbuilding technology was old and the ships were not  that complicated.
> The basic idea of warships had not changed much since Homer besides
> fluctuations in size
>
> An analogy would be the western Slavs who adopted the Norse shipbuilding
> tradition almost from the very moment they reached the shores of the Baltic.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM