[gothic-l] Eruli in the West and in Scandinavia

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Thu Feb 14 13:05:05 UTC 2002

No, I think you have misunderstood the text of
Marvin Taylor. I haven't seen anything
on "unable to prove an Eruli influence in Scandinavia".
Maybe you should ask Taylor himself?

In the wake of an emerging interest in the Eruli and
Scandinavia it seems timely to bring up some other
possible Erul links.

The Raevsala runestone on the Tjoern island in
Bohuslaen is date 400-700 AD an points toward
a wealthy group in society active in Scandinavia
after leaving continental Europe. It fits well with the
remigration mentioned in Procopios.

Another aspect is the recurring mention of Hunar and
Hunaland, hunahaer and hunasmeden to mention a few
expressions.  These are mainly to be found in
south and west Sweden.

To refer to the Edda there are some cases too, "den hunske
kungen Sigurd" och "Hunalands drottning Haerborg". It is
hardly likely that the Hunar were Huns but could be Eruli.

In _Gesta danorum, gothorum et hunorum_ of Ghent. Flanders,
in around 1120 there is a mention of "Northwega, oe i Scanzia,
varifraan danernas pirater kom och som bebos av Goti, Huni
och Daci."

Any comments on these matters would be appreciated.

Bertil Haggman

> You obviously do not understand the German text I am afraid.

> It is clear that you do not understand what Taylor said. He does not
> let the reader decide at all, but states that the arguments are
> unable to proof a link between the Eruli and Scandinavia.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM