[gothic-l] Whence the Eruli

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Sat Feb 16 15:21:33 UTC 2002

Well, as I understand we agree at least on
two points.

Could you explain how that "staging area"
of the raids could be outside the area of
settlement? Is it to be understood that
the Eruli forces marched from the settlement
area to stage the raids from another area?

Yes, I have not been able to find out if Ukraine
or Russia (or visiting archaelogists) are doing
any research around the Sea of Azov as related
to the Eruli.

Then the Eruli just accidentally migrated to
Thoule. Wouldn't it have been more easy to move
somewhere closer to Illyricum?

Bertil Haggman

> That is also my opinion. I have no idea where
> you may have gotten the impression that I did not
> believe the Eruli to be a Germanic people.

> That is also my opinion. I distinguished the
> "staging area" of the raids from that of the Erulian
> settlements. The former cannot easily be captured by
> archaeology since the site layers are exceedingly thin
> and volatile in such cases.

> All field archaeologists, to my knowledge,
> agree with the proposition that in the period ca. 200
> AD through 400 AD only three cultures can be
> associated with Germanic populations, as I've stated
> below.
> No. I do not think Procopius was mistaken on
> this point, though he may have garbled some of the
> details.

Access Your PC from Anywhere
Full setup in 2 minutes! - Free Download
http://us.click.yahoo.com/MxtVhB/2XkDAA/_ZuFAA/wWMplB/TM