[gothic-l] Pre-Viking Raids

george knysh gknysh at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 16 17:03:25 UTC 2002

--- Bertil Haggman <mvk575b at tninet.se> wrote:
> It could be that the Eruli and other "tribes" were
> local warrior
> clans from mainly the southern part of Scandinavia.
> Maybe they
> were under the leadership of the Ostrogothic Amals.
> The
> migrations were highly organized and not random.
>
> These clans or groups did not leave Scandinavia for
> good.
> The Eruli with probable Scandinavian background
> likely
> left relatives back home. When they returned they
> once more
> merged with their original culture

*****GK: Since the writers who attempted to enumerate
the populations inhabiting Scandinavia (esp. Ptolemy
and Cassiodorus/Jordanes) do not mention "Eruli" among
the major established groups of "Scandza", you might
try to argue that this term ("Eruli") was of the same
category as "Vikings" or "Vaerings", i.e. that the
so-called "Eruli" had a different, proper, "ethnic"
name. Calling themselves "Eruli" ("free
warriors"?)just for the purpose of their campaigning.
What would have been this "proper" name? Well if they
settled "among" the Gauti after 512 AD, perhaps they
were originally "Gauti"? I'm not saying this is the
case, only indicating one of the many different
scenarios which are possible if one does not wish to
adopt a strict scientific attitude, but follows one's
desires and intuition beyond the rigors of the extant
evidence.******

 but at the same
> time
> influenced it. Thus imported traditions,
> craftmanship, customs
> and usages were spread and these sometimes remained
> for generations,
> even centuries. The returning Eruli could very well
> have provided the roots of
> the privileged stratum in the early Middle Ages in
> some provinces on the
> southern Scandinavian peninsula.
>
> Erulically
>
> Bertil