[gothic-l] Gothic Archaeology was Re: Whence the Eruli

fericzobor fericzobor at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 19 10:26:12 UTC 2002

Dear Dirk,

Very interesting the facts presented by you, that confirm the
suspicion that arose in my mind reading other text also, mainly on the
Wielbark culture.
The modern contestation of such legend-based sources is not something
ssingular in the case of Getica. For instance, the Hungarian scholars
of the 19th century and early 20th century considered that "Gesta
Hungarorum" of Anonymus (12th century) represents the absolute truth
regarding the migration and land-seizing of the Hungarians (9-10
centuries). But now the Hungarian scholars are largerly contesting the
auuthenticity of the facts presented in this early Hungarian
chronicle.
But now appears another problem: if not from Gotland or Scandinavia,
then where came the Goths from? If I remember correctly, the Polish
scholars are presenting the Wielbark culture as autochthonous. This
would mean that the territory of this culture represents the
Proto-Germanic homeland? (probably in fact they moved here from the
homeland that was situated westwards, following the land route rather
than sailing on the Baltic Sea).

Francisc

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM