[gothic-l] Gothic Archaeology was Re: Whence the Eruli

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Tue Feb 19 13:40:33 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >  connections
> >

> >Tore,
> >
> >there was no Wielbark culture in the 3rd century BC. There is
general
> >aggreement that the culture emerged only around  0 AD.
> >

> Why not.
> In Schätze der Ostgoten. I read "Ausbreitung der Wielbark-Kultur
von
> der jüngeren vorrömishen Eisenzeit (Zone A) bis zur römischen
> Kaiserzeit (Zonen E und F) (nach Wolagiewicz)
>
> Are we playing with words or do you not accept the above.

Andreas has already established earlier, that there is a lot in this
catalogue by Kokowski, that the author regrets! There is no doubt,
the Wielbark culture starts in the first century BC.

>http://w1.855.telia.com/~u85528681/Gothic_l/gothicconnectio_/default.
> >tm
> >>

> >>  Sometimes a new truth is not better than the old. Espeicially
when
> >>  they don't consider all aspects but only take what suits them.
> >>

> >Tore,
> >
> >did you really read Brierbrauer's publications before accusing him
of
> >gross professional mis-conduct? Bierbrauer is one of the leading
> >experts in the field and I think you would like his publications
more
> >than you think.
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
> I was only commenting on his statement about Almgren. Most of my
> sources are only in Swedish why Bierbauer has limited sources.

Bierbrauer referes to all of the Swedish, Polish and other scholars
that dealt with the subject and we can assume that he is fully aware
of every single word they have written on the subject. In fact,
people like Almgren, Nerman etc. had limited sources. Not that it was
their fault, but when they worked there was only very little Wielbark
material available.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM