[gothic-l] Gothic Archaeology was Re: Whence the Eruli

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Tue Feb 19 17:17:15 UTC 2002

>--- faltin2001 <dirk at smra.co.uk> wrote:
>(an excellent summary of archaeological research on
>the Goths)
>****GK: A quick point between classes at the U.== I
>think it is no longer possible to claim a Scandinavian
>descent for the Goths viewed as an ethnos. Mass
>migration across the Baltic seems out of the question.
>But what recent archaeology does not apparently rule
>out is the possibility of a smaller group infiltrating
>the "locals" of Wielbark as their ruling class. And
>all it takes for a "myth" such as that popularized by
>Cassiodorus/Jordanes to evolve are the "traditions" of
>one (eventually) ruling family, which are transposed
>onto the entire people... I think more discussion of
>this is warranted. See you all later.*****

George,
What you write here sounds very logical. Wielbark is just a name.
Maybe the culture in Gotland also was Wielbark.

What we know is that there was much movement both way in the cultural area.
A consequence is that customs and language tends to standardize.

Even if Kaliff is no archaeologist but historian I think he has
managed well with "Gothic connections" as a further bases for
discussions.

There is no doubt that as Gotland was a free trading area people have
moved there and adapted to the Gotlandic language and the culture has
received new impulses all the time.

Tore