[gothic-l] Re: Przeworsk and Gothic Archaeology

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Feb 21 14:00:02 UTC 2002

>  > Dirk,
>>  Is there any influence from La Tène culture?
>>  Hallstadt culture.
>>
>>  Tore
>>

>Tore,
>
>yes, Godlowski (op. cit.) speaks of a far-reaching La Teneisation of
>northern Europe, which was particularly pronounced in the Przeworsk
>culture (pp. 12-13)
>
>"Einen wesentliche Rolle bei der Herausbildund der Przeworsk-Kultur
>hat der Einfluss der keltischen Latene-Kulture aus dem Sueden
>gespielt. Das bezieht sich vorallem .... auf die Formen er vielen
>Metallfundgegenstaende und ... auf die Grabsitte. Man kann auch
>vermuten, dass auch die allgemeine wirtschaftliche Entwicklung, deren
>Kennzeichen in der juengeren vorroemischen Eisenzeit im Gebiet der
>Przeworsk- und auch der Oksywie-Kulture ganz deutlich fassbar sind,
>ebenfalls mit keltischen Einflussen zusammenhaengt."
>
>Hence, some of the defining cultural traits of the Przeworsk and the
>Oksywie culture (metall artefacts and burial customs) originate with
>the Celtic Latene cultures of southern Poland.
>
>Dirk

Dirk,
Interesting!
Gotland was also very  much influenced by this.
This matches with Kaliffs' indications that there were a common
culture in the area where the Goths originated. Gotland was
apparently part of that culture.

There was also intensive trade between this area and Gotland.

The ember trade was very important.

Further we know from earlier and later that the Gotlanders
established trading posts (colonies) on the eastern shores of the
Baltic.

Most people make the mistake to include Gotland in Thule. The culture
and people in Gotland is quite different from that on the Swedish
mainland (Thule)

Tore