[gothic-l] Re: Seventeenth Gothic-Roman War 405 AD

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Wed Jan 2 13:51:05 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "Oskar Andersson" <o.andersson at g...> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > Seventeenth Gothic-Roman War 405 AD
> >
> > The Amal Gothic King Radagaisa advanced on Italy with
> > a huge army of Germanic warriors including Ostrogoths,
> > Vandals and Burgundians (records indicate 400,000 but
> > it seems exaggerated).
>
> How verified is this historically? From which sources do you get
that the
> tribes were Vandals, Burgundians and Goths? Procopius?
> And also, are you able to identify an Ostrogothic corpus prior to
Theoderic's
> conquest of Italy in 488/489, and if so, even as early as 405?
>

>  From the Alps to Rome Italy is
> > ravaged. After a while  managed to stop the Radagaisa
> > army at the battle of Florence (406 AD), with a large number
> > of Goths killed and taken prisoner.
> >
> > Gothically
> >
> > Bertil
>
> Best,
> Oskar

Hi Oskar,

I have the same question as yourself. I would also like to know which
source states that the Visigoths of 405AD were joined by Burgundians
and Vandals to march on Italy. By 405AD the Vandals (at least the
main corpus of the tribe(s)) was likely located somewhere at or near
the middle Rhine near Mainz, from where they would cross the river in
406AD. The Burgundians were living in the Main/Neckar area (of middle-
south Germany) since about the 290sAD. Before this the Burgundians
were located somewhere north of Raetia. In 278AD the Romans defeated
Burgundians and Vandals (under the leader Igilos) at the river Lech
(near Augsburg)(Zosimus 1,67). In 369AD the Burgundians and Alamanns
were in conflict about salt sources in the Main area and the Verona-
table of nations confirms that the 'Burgundziones' lived between
Alamanni and Chatti. In 406AD the Burgundians created their kingdom
at Worms, which lasted until about 435AD.

It is certainly not impossible that some Vandals and Burgundians
joined the Visigoths' march into Italy, but it would be interesting
to know which source this is based on.

cheers

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!