[gothic-l] Visigothic King Fridigern

Bertil Haggman mvk575b at TNINET.SE
Wed Jan 2 20:56:21 UTC 2002

Oskar,

The first Visigothic king was Athanarich, who ruled
probably from 366 AD to January 25, 381 AD. There
seems to be a question wether Fridigern the ruled
until Alarich took over. If I remember correctly
it was King Fridigern whol led the Visgoth at the
crossing of Danube (376 AD ?).

Gothically

Bertil

> See inside notes too, but my MAIN question is whether we actually are able to
> identify Visigoths/Ostrogoths prior to Alaric's conquest of Rome 410 and later migration
> into Gaul and Theodoric's conquest of Italy 488/99?
> My point is that you refer to Ostrogoths as participating in Alaric's conquest - over 80 years
> prior to them entering Italy, and that yields the above question of identification and if we are actually able
> to discern Ostrogoths that early in history?
> According to Heather the ethnogenesis of Ostrogoths comes later, just some years prior to Theodoric's
> invasion.

Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System. Click Here to Enter.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/tmpz8B/exbDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM