[gothic-l] Visigothic King Fridigern

Tore Gannholm tore.gannholm at SWIPNET.SE
Thu Jan 3 14:45:15 UTC 2002

>Tore,
>
>So do you have any indications sourcewise for your
>assumption?
>
>Gothically
>
>Bertil
>
>>  I also wish you a prosperous 2002.
>>  OK I understand. Jordanes wrote in the mid 6th century.
>>  The people he writes about are at that time called Visigoths. However
>>  he does not say when that  name of the new formation was taking
>>  place. Jordanes talks about the people that are the nucleous of the
>>  Visigoths but at the time of crossing the Danube that name was not
>  > yet present.

Bertil,

I have the experience in history that it is very easy to project
backwards things to happen before they happened.

I have the classical thing with the Deutsche Hanse even if Dirk does
not agree with me that the Deutsche Hanse was founded in 1358 but
later writers tend to project it to earlier centuries. I also have
other examples and suspect it is the same with the word Visigoths.
I presume you have no earlier written source than Jordanes.

Tore

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!