[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jan 3 14:48:55 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:
> >>  >
> >>  >
> >>  >The North Danubian Heruls were allies of Theoderic. Their king
was
> >>  >made son-in-arms of Theoderic. Whether this resulted in any
kind of
> >>  >subsidy payments to bolster his son-in-arms we don't know.
However,
> >>  >coin finds at least in the middle Danube basin tend to be of
> >western
> >>  >(Roman and Ostgrogothic) origin until about 550AD. L Huszar
lists
> >in
> >>  >his article 'Das Muenzmaterial in den Funden der
> >>  >Voelkerwanderungszeit im Mittleren Donaubecken' a total of 538
> >coins
> >>  >or hoards. The coins prior to about 550AD tend to come from the
> >West.
> >>  >Overall there are only 5 solidi in the list. Of which two are
> >>  >Germanic imitations of solidi of Justinian I (Szalaska) and
> >>  >Theodosius II (Ermilhalyfalva). One is an Avaric imitation
> >>  >(Dunapentele) of an 'unidentified gold coin'. And two are
solidi of
> >>  >Anastasius (Kiszombar) and Justinius I (Hodmezovasarhely) from
> >Rome.
> >>  >
> >>  >cheers,
> >>  >Dirk
> >>  >

> >>  --
> >>  Dirk,
> >>
> >>  It would be very interesting to know how you can be so emphatic
on
> >this matter.
> >>  It is not clearly stated in Procopius. I have read various
> >>  interpretations of this. The one is no better than the other.
> >>
> >>  Tore
> >

> >Tore,
> >
> >I am not sure what you mean. I only suggested that the Danubian
> >Heruls were allied with the Ostrogoths. This alliance was cemented
by
> >the appointment of the Herulic king as Theoderic's son-in-arms and
> >should be seen in the context of a wider effort by Theoderic to
find
> >allies against the Franks.  Do you think that this interpretation
is
> >not correct?
> >
> >Dirk
>
> Dirk,
>
> I presume we are talking about Rudolf as the son-in-arms.
> In Scandinavian litterature there is a Rudolf leaving his tribe in
> Norway and joined Theoderik and became son-in-arms.
> They also say that there was an Herulic king with the same name.
>
> I don't know if there were two persons with the same name, but that
> is how it has been treated in Scandinavian litterature.

Tore,

It has been shown by several authors -and I think it is widely
accepted- that the Herulic king Rodulf is not the same person as the
king Rodulf who is said to have abandoned his kingdoms (he was
reportedly king over several tribes) in Scandza to live under
Theoderic. You will find that several scholars regard the Scandzan
Rodulf as an invention by Jordanes/Cassiodorus to emphasise the view
that Scandza was such a bad place that even a king from there would
be better off living in Italy.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!