[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

faltin2001 dirk at SMRA.CO.UK
Thu Jan 3 15:18:28 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., Tore Gannholm <tore.gannholm at s...> wrote:

> >  >
> >>  Dirk,
> >>
> >>  I presume we are talking about Rudolf as the son-in-arms.
> >>  In Scandinavian litterature there is a Rudolf leaving his tribe
in
> >>  Norway and joined Theoderik and became son-in-arms.
> >>  They also say that there was an Herulic king with the same name.
> >>
> >>  I don't know if there were two persons with the same name, but
that
> >>  is how it has been treated in Scandinavian litterature.
> >

> >Tore,
> >
> >It has been shown by several authors -and I think it is widely
> >accepted- that the Herulic king Rodulf is not the same person as
the
> >king Rodulf who is said to have abandoned his kingdoms (he was
> >reportedly king over several tribes) in Scandza to live under
> >Theoderic. You will find that several scholars regard the Scandzan
> >Rodulf as an invention by Jordanes/Cassiodorus to emphasise the
view
> >that Scandza was such a bad place that even a king from there would
> >be better off living in Italy.
> >
> >Dirk
> >

> Dirk,
>
> I see you do really not like Scandinavia or Norway where Rudolf is
> supposed to have come from.
>
> Yes, it is cold in winter but very nice in Summer.

Tore,

this has nothing to do with what I like or not. Jordanes/Cassiodorus
were eager to present Scandza as an unpleasant place. Neither of them
has ever been there and it was probably done for 'political' reasons
or to serve a common topos. Also, this Scandzan Rodulf is not
normally equated with the Herulic king Rodulf. Maybe some other
members of the list can lay out the argument.

Dirk

PS I very much admire the Scandinavian landscape and parts of my
family came from Sweden in the 18th century.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/WoOlbB/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/wWMplB/TM