[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Jan 3 19:05:50 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., andreas.schwarcz at u... wrote:
> > we cannot even say to which of the seven tribes mentioned he
> > belonged and why he went into exile. Jordanes does not say that
> > he came voluntarily. "Contempto proprio regno" just means that he
> > left his own realm, but does not tell us anything about the
> > circumstances. He may have been forced into exile, but we cannot
> > say anything for sure.
>

> Hello Andreas,
>
> my translation of the Getica maybe bad, but it says about Roduulf
>
> "But he despised his own kingdom and fled to the embrace of
> Theodoric, king of the Goths, finding there what he desired."

Dirk,

I prefer to follow Andreas' version, but your Mierow-transalation
presents even clearer the universal statement of a loser. This is the
explanation he would give, if he had to leave - and how often will a
king leave his throne because of bad climate, low cultural level or
unruly inhabitants, if he is able to rule them? Cassiodorus
(Jordanes) probably just referred what Roduulf told.

Troels

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!