[gothic-l] Re: Trailing the Eruli in the North

troels_brandt trbrandt at POST9.TELE.DK
Thu Jan 3 19:49:09 UTC 2002

--- In gothic-l at y..., "faltin2001" <dirk at s...> wrote:
> --- In gothic-l at y..., "troels_brandt" <trbrandt at p...> wrote:

> > Yes, but if they got land, Odoaker did not have to pay them in
> coins.
> > This was probably his way to tie them.
>
> Possibly, but at least in part the payment might have consited of
tax-
> shares, which the sources often do not clearly distinguish from the
> land itself. I don't think that Odoaker's Herulic mercenaries would
> have been too interested in working on the land rather than
> receiving revenue from it.

Agree - but then the revenue would not come from Odoaker

> > Exactly - and after earlier admitting my misunderstanding I
> > understood from you, that the coin was from 476/77. The year 476
AD
> > is said to be important in Uppsala's Aun-calender - and symbolic
in
> > Roman history.
>
> I understand now what you meant. To be precice, the coin is from
> 475/76, the time when Basiliscus ruled.

Even better.

> > one stupid question: How sure are you about the registration of
the
> > mints at these Scandinavian solidi?
>

> Very sure. Fagerlie, among others investigated these coins and
stated
> that the complete absence of Ostrogothic gold coins in Scandinavia
> is surprising.

Not to me, but the distribution among the various Byzantian mints
sounds odd if this covers all Scandinavia. Fagerlie wrote 30 years
ago. Are the statistics updated?

> She noted that there is only one badly worn quarter-
> siliqua of Theoderic.

Where do we find high concentrations of Theodoric coins outside his
kingdom?

> The actual mint-attribution is very easy and
> undisputed. Most of the coins can be correctly attributed at first
> glance.

Was the production of solidi concentrated at certain mints?

Troels

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!